Today I am going beyond just giving you decor ideas. I want to share these DIY dorm decor ideas with you!
I will also include the basic tutorial of how to make every DIY idea, but for anything that requires more explanation, I will link a post that explains it in depth.
Let’s get started!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase via my link I may get a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend things I use and love, but for any questions, refer to my full disclosure here.
1. Where is…? Dorm Sign
This DIY dorm decor idea is so cute and really useful. It shows your roommate where you are, which is very important!
- Use cardboard and a piece of fabric to make the base.
- Wrap the fabric and staple it onto the cardboard.
- Cut out some colored paper (or use white paper with different colored pens).
- Write the most common places you and your roommate go to on the paper.
- Then, place it onto the base and glue it.
- Add a clip to each side and move it to the current location.
You can customize this however you want! It doesn’t have to be in this shape either, you could do a circle or a triangle too.
Other popular posts you may like:
2. Jewelry Organizer
Jewelry is one of those things that can get really messy over time. It either gets tangled up in a drawer or gets lost when just lying around.
I love making useful things, so let’s get started with this one.
As you can see on the picture above, there are a few options you can choose from.
WHAT YOU NEED:
- a Picture Frame
- Stapler or wood glue
- Fabric/Ribbon/Twine or some thin steel grid
- If you go with the steel grid, make sure to use a stapler gun and be careful! The wood glue only holds fabric on the frame.
- Spray paint the frame if you want to
- Measure how much material (ribbon length, length & width of grid,..) you need.
- Staple or glue it on the back of the frame.
This one is really simple and affordable. And it looks cute in a dorm room too.
3. Bedside Pockets
This is another very useful item in a dorm room. You can either buy it or make it yourself.
For that, a sewing machine can make it easier for you, but if you don’t have one you can also hand sew it.
4. DIY pen holders
I love this DIY dorm decor item too! You can use any spraypaint color you like, and any size jars.
- Wash out jars you have at home
- Let them dry
- You can keep them separate, or if you want them to be together, you can add a piece of wood (or thick cardboard) to the bottom.
- If you’re adding the wood/cardboard, glue the jars onto it before painting.
- Spraypaint everything in the color (or colors) of your choice.
- Let it dry
5. Upcycled Plant Hangers
This is so cute!
To read the full tutorial of how to make these, click on the image above, but here are a few basic steps on how to do them.
- Cut a shampoo or shower cream bottle in half
- Paint the bottle in your desired color
- Plant some plants in them
- Make holes to get twine through it
- Then, you can hang it onto a command hook on either a wall or your ceiling.
6. Photo Wall With Fairy Lights
Isn’t this DIY dorm decor idea just magical? I love it!
And it’s really easy to do too.
- Print out pictures in polaroid style or use your polaroid pictures
- Hang the fairy lights on the wall
- Use clips to stick the polaroids to the string lights
7. Decorated Mirror
This DIY is easy and looks super cute! You can do all kinds of different mirror decorations, it doesn’t have to be flowers.
Just take whatever you wanna put on it, and glue it on!
8. Dry-Erase Board
Dry-erase boards are perfect for to-do lists, notes, and messages to your roommate (or yourself).
Here is what you’ll need:
- A picture frame with glass
- colored paper or anything you want as a background
- An erasable pen
This DIY is so easy and looks cute in a dorm (or any room).
9. Charging Station
These charging boxes look so cute and make the room more organized.
- Paint a shoebox or any box you can find in the color of your choice
- Place a powerstrip in the middle of the box
- Mark where each charger or cable would need to leave the box, including the cable of the powerstrip.
- Cut out circles (or any other shape of your choice) where you market the box
- You can use those steel circles to make the edges cleaner, but you don’t have to.
- Lastly, use small pieces of colored (or just white) paper to write down the name of the charger (phone, laptop, camera, etc) and use a glue stick to secure it on the box.
10. Pin Boards
There are different variations of DIY pinboards!
You can use paint or fabric to make the boards more colorful and matching to your dorm.
For the painted variation, use some tape to create straight lines. Or blend multiple colors together if you want.
For the fabric version, cut out a 2 inch bigger piece than your corkboard, and use fabric glue or a stapling gun to make the fabric stick.
Both versions are simple yet eye-catchers!
When they’re done, you can stick them to the wall and pin notes, pictures, and quotes on them.
Need a packing list for moving back to college? Check out this checklist printable!
Yay! We are through my 10 DIY dorm decor ideas! I hope you found something to recreate!
Here are posts you may be interested in as well: