Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase via my link I may get a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend things I use and love, but for any questions, refer to my full disclosure here.
Wanna plan a Halloween party in college but not sure how to get started? In this post, I will share my guide with Halloween party ideas for college students!
These ideas are perfect for college students on a budget, limited time due midterms, and include a lot of fun game ideas.
PS: At the end you can download a Halloween party planner printable for free!
Let’s get started!
Number 1 in planning a party are the invitations!
Of course, you need to think of the time, location, and theme first, but once you know those (you will get some theme ideas in a little bit), you can start to make and send out invitations.
Here are a few examples of how invitations can look like:
You can either print them out and slide them under your friends’ dorm room doors, or just send them electronically to save paper.
Here are a few general planning tips for your Halloween party!
- Send out invitations in advance! People like to plan their night outs usually before the day they go out, especially on a special night like Halloween!
- Make it clear what theme you’d like, or if there is a theme at all
- Also, make the main activity or focus of your party clear so people can make sure they will enjoy your party!
Confused about all the elements that go into planning a party? Don’t worry that’s okay and normal!
But to make it a little easier for you, I created this super easy (and cute) party planner for you.
Wanna add a theme to your Halloween party but you want it more special than just a normal costume party? Here are some ideas.
- Haunted house party
- Fall themed / non- scary
- Contest/ show theme
- Funny costumes
- Scary theme
- Movie characters
- Fiction theme
- Non-fiction/real theme (so things that did happen that are scary)
These are just a few theme ideas for your party. Some of them are for you to focus your party on, such as creating a haunted house or just a fall theme, and some are for your guests to know, like what kind of costume to wear.
Talking about costumes: if your Halloween party is a costume party, make sure to have a great costume yourself!
Since I already published 2 posts with costume ideas, I won’t add them here as well, but here are the costume ideas:
For drinks, there are a couple of amazing cocktails that you can make for your guests.
I included recipes to them, so just save the pictures onto your Pinterest so you can come back to it later.
How to make this cocktail:
- 25ml Vodka
- 25ml Southern Comfort
- Blue alcopop
- Orange juice
Pour the vodka and SC into a glass with ice, add ca. 300ml blue alcopop and stir it. Lastly, top it with some orange juice!
This one is a classic for Halloween Parties!
You will need for each cocktail:
- 50ml Vodka
- 250ml tomato juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 dash of Worcester sauce
- 1 dash of Tabasco sauce
Shake it or stir it together and add ice. Ready!
The third cocktail idea for Halloween parties is a pumpkin punch!
This one serves 8-10:
- 1 carved out pumpkin to serve it in
- 400ml coconut rum
- 200ml pomegranate juice
- 200ml orange juice
- 1 lime
- 400ml ginger ale
- slices of orange to serve
- if you want more of a pumpkin spice taste to it, add some spices!
Here are a few ideas for the food you can serve on your party.
You could also ask everyone to bring a treat if you want a smaller party with your friends.
These are pretty easy to make and you can theme them as you wish:
- Ghost shaped cookies
- Muffins with fake spiders on top
- Classic pumpkin pie
- Pumpkin soup
- Pizza shaped like a pumpkin
- Toffee apples
Since this post is a full guide with Halloween party ideas for college students, I can’t cover all food ideas with recipes, but there are tons of them on the net already, so just google the names!
Decoration is the key in hosting the perfect Halloween party! If the decor is thought out, people will enjoy it!
Here are some ideas for your party decor:
- Fake spider webs
- Smoke machine (if you can find one at the thrift store or have money for it)
I also love this food serving skeleton!
Games and Activities
Here are some Halloween party ideas for college students that include games and activities.
- Bobbing for apples in an alcoholic punch
- Create teams and wrap one person per team into toilet paper. The quickest team wins!
- Scary movie drinking game (Pinterest has good drinking game printables)
- Pumpkin truth or dare (everyone writes down 1 truth and 1 dare and puts it into a carved pumpkin. You pull a paper and do what it says!)
- Classic: Pumpkin carving competition
- Pumpkin Pictionary (carve things in a pumpkin and the others have to guess)
Some Party Advice | Host a Greener Party
Now that you have all categories of your college Halloween party covered, you are ready to plan and party!
Some advice for hosting a responsible party:
- Invite people you actually like or want to know better
- Use paper plates (I am aware that you don’t have real plates in your dorm, but please avoid making immense amounts of waste because of a party. They are fun without that!)
- Try to serve food that doesn’t need cutlery so you save some plastic from the bin
- Use paper straws or metal straws if any
- Be safe and don’t get drunk at your own party! Of course, you can have a drink or two, but you are the host and are responsible for the safety of your guests, so just make it easier for yourself and don’t get wasted
- If you use disposables, make sure they are compostable and dispose of them properly
These are just a few tips for a better party, not just for the guests but for the environment!
To keep track of your planning progress, don’t forget to download the free Party Planner from my freebie library!
I hope you found these Halloween party ideas for college students useful and save the amazing cocktail recipes as well as the planning guide!
Stay safe and until soon,