Here is my guide on what to pack for a summer in Europe, by a European!
Summer is here, which means TRAVEL TIME! Whether you’re from Europe, traveling Europe, or American, Australian, or wherever you’re from, this guide is here to help what to pack in Summer!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase via my link I may get a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend things I use and love, but for any questions, refer to my full disclosure here.
I do recommend taking carry-on luggage rather than check it in. That has various advantages, like:
- Fewer costs
- Less stress whether it gets lost
- More time to spend traveling (because you don’t have to wait to pick it up)
- You need less time figuring out what to wear because you don’t have too many clothes with you
I understand that you rather check in your big luggage if you travel for several weeks in Summer, and in that case its your choice (ok it always is haha).
But Summer is the time where your clothes are thinnest (except if you travel to Northern Europe), and you can fit more into your carry-on than you could in winter. Makes sense, right?
Also, having to carry large suitcases just isn’t fun.
If you are traveling in Europe using trains, smaller suitcases are more practical too, and you can pack as many liquids as you want.
I’ve traveled Europe by train for a month! Here is where I got my ticket for only $350! (you can actually save 5% and automatically donate $15 to charity until July 16th!)
Related: The ultimate Summer Bucket List
Since this post is about traveling to Europe, I will tell you my favorite flight search engine I always book my trips through.
Since you searched for what to pack for Europe you might have already booked your ticket. But just in case you haven’t yet, here is my favorite to check out.
Here is why:
- they show you the cheapest times to travel if you select the destination
- they show the cheapest places to travel to if you select your date
- You can also select “worldwide” if you’re adventurous (like me hehe)
- It’s perfect if you have several destinations to see in Europe and don’t really care about the order. That will make it much cheaper for you
- I have booked return flights for less than $100 several times
Adjust this to the time period you will be traveling for! This is what I would take for a 2 week trip for a Summer in Europe in a carry-on.
CLOTHES + SHOES
- 2-3 shorts
- 1-2 long/airy pants (it could still get chilly in the evening, depending on where you are)
- Underwear and socks
- 2-3 Swimsuits/ Bikinis
- 6-8 Tshirts/ tops
- 2-4 dresses
- 1 pair of leggings
- a cardigan
- 1 pair of sandals
- a pair of sneakers (comfortable ones! You will be walking a lot!)
- a pair of nicer shoes (you don’t have to, but I like having something like ballerinas or little heeled shoes for going out)
- 2-3 PJ’s (I usually sleep in normal shirts so I don’t pack sets of PJs, but just take those extra light shirts)
- a hat! To avoid headaches and protect yourself from the sun you absolutely need a hat. There are different styles of hats, I’m sure you’ll find one that fits your style!
- a bag to use daily on your trip
- For Northern Europe: 2-4 long sleeves and a sweater won’t hurt
Of course you shouldn’t just multiply all these clothes by the number of weeks you are traveling for, cause that would be way too much (depends on you though).
The best is if you can mix and match everything! And if you’re traveling for several weeks, I don’t think you need different outfits for every day with you.
You can also look for a washing facility and take less, but your favorite things.
- Europe in 2 Weeks Itinerary
- Europe Bucket List
- How to see London in 1 Day
- How I traveled London for less than $300
I prefer traveling sustainable and plastic-free, so these are things that I would pack for summer. For traveling with a carry-on, make sure liquids don’t exceed 100ml (3.38 fl oz) per bottle and 1l (33.8 fl oz) together.
- Toothbrush (I got my plastic-free one from here)
- hair brush
- bobby pins and hair ties
- Shampoo Bar (no liquid, ha. I got mine from here)
- Shower cream (I use a black soap bar which I use for my face as well)
- a small towel (optional, check your hotel if they have towels available)
- Hand sanitizer
- Your skincare products
I prefer taking as few items as I can. I always struggle with whether I should take my laptop. But being honest, if it’s a vacation you’re not gonna use it! I only take it when I know I will have to do work on my trip.
- Phone Charger
- Travel Adapter! (You can get one here)
- Earplugs/ Headphones
- Portable Charger (this one looks awesome!)
- your purse (make sure to have a card and cash. I also have some emergency money and a copy of my passport somewhere else, in case my purse gets lost or stolen (you never know!) Sometimes it’s also good to just take out some cash for the day and leave the rest secured somewhere not on your body (in the hotel preferably in a safe)
- Your Camera! This is the one I use for Traveling. and this is the professional camera I carry with me too.
That was my packing list for traveling Europe in Summer!
Now you know what to pack for a Summer trip to Europe!
Check out those posts, they are perfect for planning your Europe trip! Also, I have a separate page all about my favorite travel tools! You can get to that here.
Where are you going in Europe? Is it your first time? Let’s chat in the comments! I would love to give you tips for your trip! (I’m Hungarian and Swiss and have seen 17 countries of Europe!)