Here is my study abroad bucket list for every future or current exchange student! Studying abroad is one of the best opportunities and experience you will have in your life, so I recommend you use it and do as much as you can.
Need some Inspiration on Why to go abroad? Read this!
Already packing? Here are 10 essentials you CAN’T LEAVE without.
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links. If you purchase via my link I get a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend things I use and love! That helps support this blog and makes it possible to provide free content for you! Thank you. Read my full disclosure here.
Being an exchange student alumni myself, I am super excited to talk about the ultimate study abroad bucket list for your exchange year or study abroad program!
If you’d like to know more about my time abroad, check out my YouTube Channel and my Exchange Year playlist with over 100 videos about my exchange year in the US. The first ones are in German, but that changed to English over the first months, so just take a look!
Since I’d studied abroad in the US, this bucket list is more focused on what to do before you leave your study abroad time in the US. But, of course, other countries have similar traditions and activities, so you can apply it with a few adjustments to your host country if it isn’t the US as well.
Let’s get started!
1. Get a host family (or accepted to a school)
2. Have a goodbye party
3. Survive flight-day
4. See your host family the first time (or arrive at your school)
5. First day of school
6. Select fun and different classes than what you have back home
7. Meet international students
8. Have local friends
9. Go on a road trip
10. Decorate your room
11. Get good grades
12. Go on Football games
13. Go tailgating
14. Shopping in big stores
15. Participate in spirit week
17. Take a trip
18. Explore your city or town
19. Travel to surrounding states/cities
20. Meet with friends every weekend
21. Have a sleepover
22. Go to a birthday party
23. Join a sport team
24. Join a club
25. Ride the school bus
26. Go to a lacrosse game
27. See a basketball game
28. Have an American (or local) breakfast
29. Cook a meal for your host family or friends
30. Try every new fast food place
31. Try all new food
32. Teach people your language
33. Send a package back home
34. Experience Thanksgiving
35. Black Friday shopping
36. Go to the movies
37. Trick or treat on Halloween
38. Visit a haunted house
39. Bake Christmas sweets with friends
40. Speak the language fluently
41. Christmas shopping
42. Experience Christmas in your host country (don’t get homesick)
43. Take a hike
44. See the sunset from above
45. Have lunch friends
46. Go to a baseball game
47. Do spring sports
48. Go camping (even if just in the yard)
49. Do something Spring Break
50. Go to the beach (if possible)
51. Take lots of pictures
52. Visit a fair
53. Sleep under the stars
54. Be able to say you truly found a second home
55. Find a prom date/ group
56. Go to prom
57. Survive finals
58. Go to Graduation
59. Graduation parties
60. Make a goodbye party
61. Get a yearbook
62. Let your friends sign your yearbook
63. Dream in your host language
64. Revisit your favorite places
65. Say goodbye and see you soon
66. Come back to visit
This was my ultimate study abroad bucket list for exchange students! I hope you enjoyed this quick list and you download the printable version! To do that, click here!
You can also watch my YouTube video about my whole exchange year and bucket list! You find it here. The video below is another one about bucket list ideas, but it’s in German.
Thanks for sticking with me! I hope you’ll enjoy your time abroad to the fullest and let me know where you’re going abroad in the comments!